Hello my dear readers,
It’s been a while…I took time out to regroup, re-center and refocus, and now I am going forward on a global path that I am truly passionate about. I am at a stage where I know I am doing the best I can to navigate my personal and professional life. I think it’s the perfect time to clarify certain points I have mentioned in the past and give some heads-up about my future.
As a businesswoman and a wife, I feel more confident with who I am, my accomplishments, my falls, my qualities, my flaws, my shapes, my standpoints, and with the notion of evolving, as a whole. It feels (really) good. Voilà, c’est dit.
With that said, I am sharing a few facts about me, Mylène Besançon, that you would probably be interested in knowing. My generation and the one after being consumers of stories (research shows that 80% of people look forward to stories from brands), I am happy to participate in one of the leading trends of my time.
- Marketing wasn’t an obvious career path. My fascination with marketing came about when I figured that knowledge in this subject area would be beneficial to other fields I wanted to undertake in the future. The topic of branding soon grew on me. I love everything branding because it is the foundation upon which a company is built. Branding is at the forefront of our everyday lives. A strong brand can instantly connect people with an image or a feeling. There are different metrics to define what a successful brand is such as one that has managed to develop a distinct personality over time.
- Yes, it’s true that I have a tendency to be reserved. Next, please :-).
- I have come to appreciate having more financial freedom over the years. Money enables me to have a higher living standard and to allocate support to trusty causes I care about.
- My mother made me understand her dreams had been fulfilled. Having a daughter with an education, a well-remunerated job, and a respectful husband by her side is what she always wanted for me. I reportedly became the first family member to obtain an MBA thanks to the work ethics she transmitted to me. My mother matters to me, her dreams too (mine too, of course… but that’s not the point here :-).
- As a baby, my first steps happened on Christmas day. My grandma says I was 11 months old. I have previously mentioned that my childhood was quite humble, more reasons to share cute facts when I have one. Edit 21/02: I edited the sentence because I’d like to get across I am grateful. And I am getting better at nuances in American English.
- I am into long-term relationships. I am absolutely attracted to the concept of growing and building together. This is something I knew very early on, a long-term vision has always been essential to me. Furthermore, I came to learn that it is never a good feeling to have doubts about a relationship, as small as they are. Sure, mistakes will be made no matter what stage your relationship is in, and you will need to re-evaluate, tweak, etc. Relationships are work (nurture is caring)!
- The color of my eyes appears differently depending on the intensity of the light source. They are either green, light brown, or a mix of both with some yellow.
- I find dressing up to be enjoyable. It complements and enhances the Me-e-e (Taylor reference here…).
- Belonging to a community makes a world of difference… This is true regardless of whether it’s a dance group, a music association, your own business, etc. In my opinion, being alone for an extended period of time is one of the worst situations, for reasons I’d rather not think of. Now for a new fact… During my adolescent years, my grandma managed to get me involved with sports and financed the classes. I played tennis and earned a few prizes. I also danced. My love for dance will never end. When I’m not entrepreneurially-focused, I thoroughly enjoy practicing some moves.
- I do like to think that everything happens for a reason. Nothing happens by accident, in my humble opinion.
- I have deep affection for cornbread. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Of course, I discovered this treat as soon as I arrived in North America. I will always cherish my Southern French roots, but I feel lucky to have my heart belong to both Canada and the United States.
- Constantly whining people have the skill to raise my Mediterranean blood pressure. What is it? Feeling like a failure? So do many others who simply get up, brush themselves off and start over. A delay often means you are about to get something that you’re going to need in order to go forward! Remember, you can be great at any age. I am human, I have downs too. What helps me personally is to think that the best part of our life is right in front of us.
- I know I said in the recent past that the movie ‘The Big Short’ ranked among my 5 top favorite movies. My questions about the global collapse of the economy in 2008 were finally answered by that film. I also loved the cast and the editing! However, my favorite movie to date is not ‘The Big Short’. I will write about it, eventually.
- My husband told me recently, “People are busy…between work, family, etc.” and it became stuck in my head. I looked at my own schedule and I realized it was packed with work, more work, study, mentorship, hobbies, events, travels, etc. Bottom line, there is always something to do. Keeping a light atmosphere in a responsible environment and having fun in everything I do is tremendously important to me because this is how I function best. And, right now, I am being taught just that.
- On the topic of amusement, I still accidentally call “a basketball” “a balloon” and say “throw” instead of “throw away.” This often leads to some incongruous and embarrassing situations. I am making countless mistakes in speech but let me finish with what my latest Toronto coach told me; she said that I should not try to sound “native” because my accent is part of my identity. It’s opinion-based, of course, I felt relieved nonetheless.
- I have travelled to many beautiful (and not so beautiful) places around the world. I have gotten exposed to a diversity of personalities and cultures that have helped to shape my own views and also how I approach business, as a result. It is a belief of mine that, to better understand the conflicts surrounding us, we need an international perspective and a more global vision.
I skipped the fact that my favorite quote right now is “Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know” by Ernest Hemingway, or that I am working with the best team at Tunedly / Bring My Song To Life. Or that I am burgeoning creatively with plays, books, music to mark the beginning of an exciting decade; or that I am looking forward to having a loving, lively family one day with little ones. Or that I think my best material is done when I am happy and bubbly; or that I imagine reading this again in a few years from a beach at, let’s say, St Bart’s, and laughing at this candid blog post, and probably remember how I was improving my organizational skills at the time. But this list could have gone on all night long. Blogging can be chouette. All the best for the rest of the year… stay strong, stay beautiful. xoxo .
◩ ABOUT ME / À PROPOS ◪
‘Mylène’s Blog’ gives you an answer to something you’ve been curious about. ⑇ Are you a songwriter or have friends who are? I co-founded Tunedly, a selective music publishing and recording studio. ⑇ The Homepage of my website is the best place to learn about me. Homepage LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Instagram Gallery ⑇